flower id: hostas

Chances are high that you have these babies growing somewhere in your yard. Hostas are a common ground cover often found in landscapes and gardens abound. There are as many as 45 different species of hosta plants you can grow with all different leaf sizes, shapes and color variations. Hosta plantaginea originated in China, though most of the varieties we have today were introduced by Japan to Europe in the 19th century. They have since spread over gardens across the world as an easy to cultivate and pleasing to the eye plant.

I love using hostas as a cut flower. When displayed alone in a vase their ovate leaves show off great texture. Hostas have a very long vase life and I will let you in on a little secret, florists actually pay big money for them as a cut flower to use as a soft texture in garden bouquets. So while you are waiting for your summer cut flowers to bloom, try displaying some hostas!

-christina

6 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness! So simple ans so stunning. I love it beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip Christina! Sorry I made a mistake in my previous comment and so deleted it. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!!
    In bouquet it's so nice... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hostas and I get along so well. Thanks! I just need some milk glass...

    ReplyDelete

leave some love

Related Posts with Thumbnails