another one bites the dust

For many years now I've lived next to this florist. I've always payed attention to their creative plantings on the sidewalk and orchid displays in the window. How sad I was to see it up and close recently. It seems like many of the stores in our downtown area just cant hold up in this economy with high overhead and low demand. Florist have been hit especially hard. Flowers are indeed a luxury item.


It is because of this recession that I started flores del sol. Last spring my job as a part-time floral designer was eliminated due to the lack of demand. I had just recently had my second baby girl and so I decided to try and work from home instead. Thank heavens for etsy!

How is it in your town? I hope the mom and pop shops are surviving!

2 comments:

  1. I think this kind of thing is happening all over the country Tina. Just yesterday there was an article in our paper about a guy who has had a music store for over 30 years and it looks like it is going to close.

    It's bad enough when large companies like Circuit City has to close, but when it hits the "mom and pops" its like it hits right at the heart of our country. Our city has had lots of these closures in the last two years and unfortunately they aren't done yet :(

    Don't think for one minute that this doesn't affect a lot of people, because it does.

    Keep on designing and smiling Tina....you have a very special talent and are a very special young woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A local flower shop by me closed last month. The economy is still very precarious.

    I'm sorry to hear that your position was eliminated, but it seems that you're making lemonade out of lemons. I agree with the first poster, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

leave some love

Related Posts with Thumbnails