inspiration: the forget-me-not



I had a wonderful weekend. I'm a Mormon and on saturday evening, from the comfort of my own couch, I was able to watch the General Relief Society broadcast. It is a wonderful hour and a half of talks from leaders to encourage, teach, and strengthen women worldwide. Every woman, whether or not she is a member of The Church, is invited to attend/watch this meeting.

This year Elder Dieder F Uchtdorf gave an inspiring talk using the forget-me-not flower as a metaphor. It is small, insignificant and often overlooked amongst larger show-stopping flowers, but it is still vibrant and happy in the background.

“You may at times feel a little like the forget-me-not—insignificant, small, or tiny in comparison with others,” he said, noting: “I hope (the forget-me-not) will be a symbol of the little things that make your lives joyful and sweet.”

Using an example from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, President Uchtdorf described how Willy Wonka hid five golden tickets in chocolate bars, promising to reveal wonders to the people who found the tickets.

“In their anxiousness, people began to forget the simple joy they used to find in a candy bar. The candy bar itself becomes an utter disappointment if it does not contain a golden ticket,” President Uchtdorf said.

President Uchtdorf warned not to put your happiness on hold waiting for a future event, or a golden ticket to appear. Be happy in the moment now, with the small forget-me-nots in your life.

“The lesson here,” he said, "is that if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.”

Exactly what I needed to hear.


I really wanted to but could not put his whole talk on here! It is found here .


Another awesome message from Dieter F. Uchtdorf on creativity here.


3 comments:

  1. What inspiring words from an inspired man. I love this talk, and so grateful for the reminder. Thanks Tinaa.

    ReplyDelete

leave some love

Related Posts with Thumbnails